“God is doing a new thing” has been the theme of our life, prayers, and ministry since the beginning of the year. Well, we are excited to announce that the Lord has very pointedly showed us what the new thing is He is leading us to do. We are moving to Jinja, Uganda in August to work with Sole Hope!
Starting in January the Lord whispered to Lara and me that our time here in South Africa was coming to a close. It was a blessing from the Lord that he has had us at East Mountain for this season. It has been a season of preparation, learning, and growing for our family, as well a season of enjoying new friends, a wonderful church, and fruitful ministry. South Africa was never going to be our final destination and turns out it has been a wonderful stepping stone in our journey of following what the Lord has planned for our family.
In January we began to diligently pray and listen to how the Lord was wanting to lead us next. After our surprise trip to Uganda in January with old friends and ministry partners, our family felt like God was saying that this was the next stepping stone. Over the next 3 months we sought wisdom, spoke with varies ministries and organizations, and began to really dream of how the Lord may want to use the Rousehouse. One organization rose to the top of our hearts passion for caring for those in need while pointing people to Jesus. That organization is Sole Hope!
During February, March and April we spoke with multiple staff and leaders at Sole Hope as well as their board’s chairperson. The first week of May I received a call from them saying they wanted us to join them in Uganda! Last week we went on a vision trip to spend time with the organisation as well as get an idea of what our life would be like living in Jinja. What a trip it was! You can read more and see some of our favorite pictures by clicking here —>Sole Hope visit.
What is next?
Our plans for the next couple months are busy but falling in to place with the Lord’s leading. As of now, we leave South Africa on June 25th to head to the US to visit family, friends, churches, ministry partners, and hopefully enjoy some rest and down time. For tax purposes it is beneficial for me to only be in America for 34 days which is why our transition will be rather quick. Our schedule while we are home will be full but also life giving to be with all of the people that love and support us!
We found a super rate on airfare and purchased tickets to leave the US on August 1 to head to Uganda. We hope to arrive at our new home by bedtime on August 2nd.
The Rousehouse’s role with Sole Hope?
I think it would be super helpful for you to know what Sole Hope does before learning about our involvement therefore it would be great if you would click here –>Sole Hope to read more. There are even videos for those of us that don’t want to read all of the written information.
Now that you know who Sole Hope is, let’s talk about how the Rousehouse will be involved. Our family’s mission statement is to love, serve, and care for people in need so that we can point them to Jesus and our role at Sole Hope allows us to do just that.
Our role has 3 parts:
Work place pastor/shepherd
- Bible studies
- Leadership development
- Caring for the staff holistically
- Adding a fun element to monthly staff meetings
- Being present and available to staff
* Sole Hope has 65 staff (62 Uganda/3 American).
- Help tell stories about the staff, patients, and projects happening in Uganda
- Regular communication with the US Advocate team
- Connect partners and funds from the US to projects and gifts in Uganda
- Connect with Churches and Schools in the US to build a bigger partnership group for Sole Hope
- Assist with Experience Sole Hope short term trips
- Host individuals that come to visit Sole Hope
- Host the Sole Hope Interns weekly for dinner, fun, and conversations
Random opportunities to serve
- Small projects around the property
- Volunteer during weekly jigger removal clinics
- Mentor Interns
- Staff appreciation (Christmas, Birthdays, etc)
- Support staff by attending weddings, welcoming babies, helping care for them during sickness and walking with them through whatever life throws at them.
How can you play a role in Partnering with us in this next journey?
- Partner with the Rousehouse by praying for us
- Financially giving (regularly or a special gift)
- Attend an Experience Sole Hope trip to come visit us and Sole Hope
- Host a jean cutting shoe party
- Be an Advocate for us and Sole Hope in your area
- Give to a special project, staff party, or specific need at the Sole Hope Center (clinic)
- Send goods like socks, safety pins, first aid supplies, sports equipment
- Pray for our staff regularly, Sole Hope Staff
- Come be an Intern and use your gifts, experience, and education, Intern with Sole Hope
- Shop online, Shop online
Please contact us directly if you would like to get involved at any level and please continue to follow along in the journey with the Rousehouse here at rousehouse.org or through one of our media outlets:
https://www.instagram.com/causing_wonder/ – Mac’s Instagram